Tuesday, June 10, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars Movie Review



See, it has been a habit of mine to come up with reviews that no one cares anyway but I do enjoy doing it nonetheless. Anyway, it's becoming a trend nowadays to have book to film adaptations that had the book enthusiasts raving or rather fuming about it. It's kind of a double edge sword when it comes to these adaptations, whether you love it or it sucks and you demand your money back.


I was pretty excited to make a review because I had some great feels about the film. It reminded me of Korean films like Lovely Rivals and My Little Bride also a good mention would be So Close. The resemblance: the positive messages sent by the film and being a tear jerker at the same time. These are the ones that really pinch you straight through the heart. Other than the sniffing I kept on hearing at the back of the cinema, I'll move on to my film dissection.

So we have two cancer stricken lovers, then we all know how it will end. Basically, I just wanna see how it will pan out. The trailer was really good for me, what attracted me to watch it was Ansel Elgort and Shailene Woodley's overflowing chemistry. I'm a chemistry shipper so I base a lot on that when it comes to romantic films cause if ever the story sucks, the movie will still be bearable to watch.

Hazel Grace Lancaster is this cynical girl who lives with oxygen support due to her disease. It's a struggle just looking at her, being a nurse the first thought I had was where is her nasal cannula attached to, then boom you see it 'oh, she has a portable tank.' Then I wondered next what she does when she runs out of tank but then it's a film so I doubt they would show Hazel changing her tank.

Then we have Augustus "Gus" Waters, the charming, virgin cancer survivor with a metal leg. He is a ball of happiness and energy.

At the start you see how pole opposites they are but as the story progresses you see how alike they are. Hazel comes off to me as one’s ideals. At least most people see death as inevitable that everyone would turn to ashes one day; While Gus is an epitome of looking at a glass as half full rather than half empty. But when death comes knocking on their door, that's when you notice that both their demeanor is just a coping mechanism. No one really is spared by the hurt and anxiety that death can bring. You do not only worry about dying but also the people you leave behind.

We always say that having our family and friends is enough for us but really when that special person comes into our lives; it changes every spectrum of our being. Let's admit it, in reality we know how romantic love shakes us to our core and deep inside we all wish that one day that person would come knocking on our door or has already done so. Hazel in particular exemplified that in the film, when she fell in love it's like she's been brought to life. Being very sheltered throughout her life, it's like she's a living dead. Desperation sets in when she fell deeply and had a taste of what it's like to have someone other than her family who really cares about her. 

Their romantic story is a must for the hopeless romantics, it's very touching and powerful. Living everyday as if it's your last, hashtag YOLO; finding someone who can bring the best out of you and be there with you through sickness and in health; and beating a married couple by breathing the line of till death do them apart. And I know even though at times we think what's the point of loving when you know you're dying anyway; but like a line in the film, “You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world...but you do have some say in who hurts you.” At the end of the day, everyone deserves happiness whether that will be short lived or not.

Some of the things I liked in the film as well were the family and friendship stories. I bet Hazel's mom got some bawling in tears too. Their mother-daughter relationship is very endearing. As well as Gus and Isaac's friendship is pretty cool.

I really liked Hazel and Gus's characters, Hazel a lot more, which prolly has something to do with Shailene's powerful performance. I have to say she totally outdid herself this time. She could probably relate more to Hazel whom she shares the same hobby and manner of thinking and speaking. I really hated her character in Divergent while Ansel was pretty much a gust in the wind in that film. Their characters are very complex and intricate. You just enjoy their dynamics and that tantamount chemistry that they showed off together.

Ansel though was such an eye candy, his smile is infectious. My only problem with him was when he was crying, it was excruciating to watch. He was very at ease with his light scenes. His sense of humor comes naturally to him but during drama scenes he really made me cringe. I hope he works on that.

So that's all, if you haven't seen it sorry if I spoiled you but still go check it out and see for yourself. It was pretty much worth my money I can say.  

No comments:

Post a Comment